EndNote 21. New license. Windows & Mac
If you’re buying EndNote for the first time, this option is for you.
Upgrade to EndNote 21. Windows & Mac
If you have EndNote 20 (or earlier), upgrade to EndNote 21 today.
EndNote 21 Student. Windows & Mac
Verify your student eligibility to receive the full version at this discounted price.
EndNote is the global market leader among reference management programs and is valued equally in science, research, teaching and development.
Focus on what matters most: your research.
Did you know that researchers waste nearly 200,000 hours per year formatting citations? Imagine if you could have that time back to spend on your research. EndNote 20 accelerates your research process so you can focus on what truly matters – conducting and sharing groundbreaking research.
Research more efficiently with tools that find PDFs for you throughout your search process and automatically write your bibliography, so that you can focus on what matters most: your ideas.
Conduct large-scale projects with a reliable system that stores unlimited references and provides powerful tools to help you organize and manage them with ease and speed.
Work more smoothly with your team members– whether they’re based around the world, or just across town– with flexible solutions for sharing and commenting that help everyone stay on the same page.
Easily manage the process of getting your manuscript published using tools that match your paper with relevant, reputable journals, and can instantly reformat your paper in over 7,000 bibliographic styles.
New in EndNote 21
EndNote 21 is here!
The best reference management tool is getting even better. The all new EndNote 21 and EndNote Web help you manage and format citations like never before with bold new features.
With EndNote 21 you stay organized using features like tags that enhance productivity. You can enjoy peace of mind with data restoration functions that protect your work and improve your writing workflow with integrated document creation tools for Google Docs.
Experience a new, exclusive EndNote web interface
With EndNote you can access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Move seamlessly between online and desktop and iPad applications. Say hello to the brand new EndNote Web, available only to EndNote 21 customers for three years from the activation date. Securely sync your entire library including PDFs, notes, and annotations across all your devices.
Cite While You Write in Google Docs
Our Cite While You Write (CWYW) tool, makes it easy to insert your EndNote references in a Microsoft Word or Apple Pages document. CWYW automatically creates in-text citations and reference lists and easily changes the format of your in-text citations and reference lists. With EndNote 21 we are expanding CWYW to be compatible with Google Docs, making it easier to write your next paper and to collaborate on documents with colleagues.
Stay organized with tags
Tags are customizable labels that let you organize your references however you’d like. You can add tags to references and customize the colour and name of the tags. You can add multiple tags to a reference and anyone who you share your library with can view a tag, making tags a great way to quickly and intuitively organize your references.
Protect your work with data restoration function
Take a deep breath. If the unthinkable happens, EndNote 21 can recover your library from the cloud and get you back where you belong. In EndNote 21, you can restore your library and library structure with our new data restoration function, ensuring your research is not lost.
With single reference restoration you can also compare and restore previous versions of individual references.
7000+ Reference Styles
Build your bibliography in any of our included styles, or create your own custom style. Plus, support for new, modern types of references like blogs and online videos is included.
What else can you do with EndNote?
- Search hundreds of online resources for references and PDFs.
- Access full text research articles with one click.
- Easily read, review, annotate and search PDFs in your library.
- Create rules to automatically organize references as you.
- Keep your data accurate with automatic reference and link updating.
- Quickly deduplicate the content in your library by searching on unique identifiers.
- Ensure your bibliography is accurate with refreshed journal and referencing styles.
- Access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Switch seamlessly between online, desktop, iPad and iPhone applications.
- Share some or all of your libraries with up to 1000 employees worldwide.
- Provide write or read-only access to your library.
- Use the new Tabs feature for easier multitasking.
- Track your teammates’ changes and view their activity in your shared library.
- Match your paper with relevant, reputable journals using Manuscript Matcher.
- Conduct large-scale literature reviews with ease and speed using the powerful analysis tools.
- Add tags to references and customize the color and name of the tags.
Each EndNote license includes the Windows and Macintosh versions.
User may install EndNote on three computers for personal use.
EndNote Libraries can be used across platforms (Windows and Macintosh).
Internet connection required for registration, for online research and for the automatic update of data sets as well as for EndNote Web.
System Requirements (Windows)
Windows 10, Windows 11
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor
600 MB hard disk space available
Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Windows)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for Windows: 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2021, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only)
Apache OpenOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 3.x, 4.x
LibreOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 4.x, 5.x, 6.x (32-bit)
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
System Requirements (Mac)
macOS 10.14, 10.15, 11, 12, 13
Intel or Apple Silicon-based Macintosh hard drive with at least 700 MB of free disk space, minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Mac) (Mac)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for macOS: 2016, 2019, 2021, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only)
Partner Integration for Cite While You Write: Apple® Pages
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
Format Paper: Word processing systems that can save data as an RTF file:
o Apple iWork Pages Version 1, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x
o TextEdit - for the respective supported Mac OS versions
o Apache OpenOffice – Version 1, 2.x, 3.x
o Nissus Writer – for the supported Mac OS versions
o Mellel – Version 1, 2.x
• Format Paper: Word processing systems that can save data as an odt file:
o Apache OpenOffice Version 1, 2.x, 3.x
EndNote Web Compatibility and Requirements
Browser support for web applications*
- Firefox® 27 or newer
- Safari® 5.0 or newer
- Chrome® 31 or newer
Browser Support for Web Capture**
- Firefox 27 or newer
- Safari 5.0 or newer
- Chrome 31 or newer
*Applies to both Macintosh and Windows browser versions
Network compatibility and system requirements
Installation and deployment
On Windows networks, EndNote can be deployed with MSI installer technology using scripting or via Group Policy.
EndNote Cross-Platform Compatibility
- Individuals who purchase a single user license can install EndNote on up to three computers for their personal use.
- Sharing a license with other users is not allowed under the individual license agreement.
- Those computers can be any combination of Mac and Windows machines.
- By creating or logging into a Endnote online account (under preferences > Sync), that individual can sync their library across all three computers, as well as access it through EndNote online and the iPad app.
NOTE: Your EndNote product key is required for activation. Your key is the 25-digit code found in your email order confirmation.
Version look back
Look back at EndNote version X2 to 20
News in EndNote 20
- New interface design
Save even more time preparing manuscripts and managing bibliographies with an intuitive user interface.
- 7000+ Reference Styles
Build your bibliography in any of our included styles, or create your own custom style. Plus, support for new, modern types of references like blogs and online videos is included.
- Improved PDF reading & editing
Read and annotate more easily with full-size PDFs, and quickly copy formatted references.
- Improved search
Find what you’re looking for more easily, whether the content is in an online database or already in your library.
Added filtering for groups on the Groups Pane
- Easier Multitasking
Organisieren Sie Ihre Arbeit, indem Sie Gruppen in Registerkarten öffnen und wechseln Sie schnell zwischen Gruppen.
- Share and Collaborate
Share selected groups of references, manage team access and tack activity and changes.
Library Sharing mit bis zu 400 Personen möglich.
- EndNote Click integration (Kopernio)
Automatically export your references and full-text PDFs into EndNote.
- Retraction Alerts
Retraction Alerts weisen Sie Sie jetzt auf widerrufene Veröffentlichungen in Ihrer EndNote Library hin und schützen Sie in Cite While You Write (CWYW) davor, versehentlich problematische Quellen in Ihren Manuskripten zu zitieren.
New features in EndNote X9
- Group sharing
Group sharing now gives you the ability to share your groups with colleagues right from your EndNote desktop with both read-only or read-and-write access. Let your colleagues get right to what they need; they don’t need to sift through your entire library to find what is pertinent to them.
- Sharing Permissions
Now you got the ability to choose whether you share a library with full Read-write permissions or the new Read-only mode. You can select the access rights at the time of sharing, or adjust it later, and different access rights can be assigned to different users. Get the peace of mind about sharing your library and don’t have to worry about colleagues making changes to your library.
- Updated styles
If your bibliography isn’t formatted correctly, you risk your paper getting rejected, even before it is peer-reviewed. With EndNote X9 you get updates to key styles such as Chicago, AMA, MLA and APA. Now you can select from over 7000 styles to format your bibliography and citations.
- New reference types
When adding a new reference, you can now select from new references types from the list of reference options. These new reference types include discussion forum, TV episode, social media, and multimedia applications. No more guessing or making up your own reference types. Cite new types of media with confidence.
- Citation Reports
Citation reports from Web of Science help you identify what impact your research is having on your area of study. As a researcher, you want to know if the references you are citing are impactful and relevant. To do this with X8 you needed to leave EndNote and go into Web of Science separately, which is time-consuming and breaks your workflow. With EndNote X9 you can generate a Web of Science citation report by selecting a group from your desktop. Leverage core Web of Science metrics by accessing Citation reports directly from the EndNote X9.
- Manuscript Matcher
As a researcher, you need to know what journals are the best fit for your manuscripts, so that you have the best chance of acceptance. Many fields have hundreds of journal options, and it is hard to determine where to submit your paper. With EndNote X9 you can now create a list of journal suggestions for the paper you are writing. Take the guesswork out of journal submission and find the best-fit journals for your paper.
New features in EndNote X8
- Shared write access to an EndNote Library
Share your library with up to 100 other EndNote desktop users on X7.2 or later; providing teams with immediate real time access to the same set of references, attachments, notes and annotations
- Unlimited literature management
Save any number of data records and documents in your EndNote Library - an important prerequisite for successful teamwork.
- Current information about changes
With the new activity log (log of changes made), you have an overview of what your colleagues are adding and changing in the shared library.
- Easily find and attach full texts
Use EndNote to search for full texts in PDF format that are accessible to you as an employee of your institution or are simply freely available. Found full texts are automatically appended to the EndNote data record.
- Years of data accessible in seconds
Search metadata, full text, file attachments and your personal notes in EndNote and find the data you need in seconds.
- Correct citation
Insert references from your EndNote Library into your manuscript in Word. EndNote automatically creates the citation in the text or in the footnote and the entry in the bibliography in the correct format. More than 6,000 bibliographic templates are available for this purpose.
- When submitting articles on the right page
EndNote Online helps you find the right journal for your publication right away, based on an analysis of more than 10 million linked citations in Web of Science™.
New in EndNote X7
- Automatic renaming of PDF files on import
- PDF auto import folder
- PDF import with adoption of the folder structure
- Links within PDF files now also work in EndNote
- Bibliography divided by category
- Improved synchronization with EndNote Online
- EndNote now offers the ability to insert references directly into PowerPoint slides
- In the quick search, search terms are now automatically linked with the search operator "AND". In addition to the contents of the database, you can search in PDF full texts and your own comments
- Easily customize column layout
- New setting options for read/unread and rating
- Adoption of the record number
- Automatic updates
- New Reference Types: Interview, Podcast, and Press Release
- ONE EndNote product key for the Windows and Macintosh versions
- Conversion of Reference Manager databases
- Library Sharing – shared access to an EndNote database
work with up to 14 people at the same time on a common EndNote database
- Share a complete EndNote database including references, full texts and annotations
- Unlimited and free storage space in the cloud for the shared database
- Online Search, Find Full Text and Find Reference Update with PubMed over Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Cite While You Write Add-in supports 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Word 2016
- Full compatibility with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for MS Word 2016 users when Word is updated to v15.24
- Compatibility with OS X El Capitan
- Improved synchronization, especially for large file attachments
- Revised direct export functionality for OS X Snow Leopard
- Improved display on high-resolution screens
New in EndNote X6
- Data synchronization
- Mark records as read or unread
- Rate references
- Send records via email
- Records from the EndNote Library can be emailed with or without a file attachment.
- New layout options
- Extended and updated term list with over 13,000 medical journals.
- When copying or moving field contents in the EndNote database, the original formatting is retained.
- Upper and lower case of field contents can now be easily changed in the database window.
- In the Change/Move/Copy Fields window, you can use the Change Case option to change the case of all records displayed in the overview at the same time.
New in EndNote X5
- Display of PDF files directly in the EndNote database window (PDF viewer)
- Updating Records
- Transfer of file attachments to EndNote Web
- New format for in-text citations: Author (Year)
- Definition of rules in the output style for empty fields
- Easy duplicate checking
- Link to the original file is retained when importing PDF files
- Music and dataset are added as new reference types.
- There are two new fields for the Reference Type Journal Article: NIHMSID and Article Number.
- In a standard installation, the most important output styles, import filters and connection files are installed, others can be installed later.
- Over 5,000 output styles, 600 import filters and 4,300 connection files
- Improved search for phrases in PDF files and records
- References can now be removed from a group with the right mouse button
- PDF files can be attached to data sets with the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT+A
- The upgrade can now be installed either by specifying the product key or the serial number of the previous version
New in EndNote X4
- Import of PDF files/ Search in PDF files
With EndNote X4, the possibilities for managing PDFs have been expanded even further. Individual PDF files or entire folders with PDF files can be imported and indexed in EndNote. EndNote automatically takes over the bibliographic information of the imported full texts based on the DOI and saves the reference together with the full text in EndNote. The full text of the PDF files can then be searched. An EndNote database can be searched with the following options: “Any Field”, “Any Field + PDF” and “PDF”.
- The perfect collaboration solution for workgroups: Better collaboration between EndNote and EndNote Web
- New Cite-While-You-Write functions
– Automatic linking of quotations in the text to the bibliography as a hyperlink
- Full support of APA 6th requirements
– Erweiterte Fußnotenformatierung durch anpassbare Kurzformen
– EndNote X4 erstellt eine automatische Gruppe mit allen zitierten Referenzen eines Word Dokuments
– Erweiterte Funktion Edit & Manage Citations Dialogfenster
– Änderungen in den Feldern „Autor“, „Jahr“ und „Record Number“ werden automatisch im Word-Dokument aktualisiert.
New in EndNote X3
- Multiple bibliographies within a Word document
In a Word document with section breaks, create a separate bibliography for each section. In addition, a complete directory can be created at the end of the Word document.
- Cite-While-You-Write now also for Apple Pages '09 and OpenOffice.org Writer 3
- Advanced grouping features
Now arrange your references in the Custom Groups and Smart Groups hierarchically (supergroups/subgroups).
- Composite references for chemical citation guidelines
Several literature references can now be combined under one reference - in the text and in the bibliography.
- More choices in Compressed Libraries feature
In EndNote X3, you can create a "compressed library" from the entire database or from a selection. The "Compressed Library" can be created with or without "File Attachment".
- Improved duplicate check
- Free EndNote web account
- Full-text research with OpenURL link resolvers
New in EndNote X2
- Automatic download of full texts
- New group features
In the EndNote X2 version there are now groups that are automatically created and custom groups that you can manually create yourself to better structure your database.
- Automatic date stamp
You keep a better overview of your references. You now know when a reference was newly entered and when a reference was last edited.
- Newly integrated search window
The search mask is now integrated in the preview window. You can now carry out local and online research directly from the EndNote database window.
- Statistical information on the database and reference data sets
- With EndNote X2 you can now query interesting statistical information about your database or individual references.
- Duplicate control
With the direct online search from EndNote, you can choose in advance whether duplicate references should be removed before importing them into a database or not.
For any questions please contact us at email@example.com or by phone at
EndNote Library Sharing
Regardless of whether you want to share an existing EndNote database with others or build a new database as a team, both are easy with Library Sharing.
This is how library sharing works
All participants need an EndNote desktop version and an associated EndNote online account. The person who wants to share their EndNote Library with the others syncs their EndNote Library to their EndNote Online account and then invites the other contributors to share the library via EndNote Desktop. They will receive an email with a link they can use to log into their respective EndNote online account. The invitation is accepted and the shared library can be opened on the computers of the invitees in the EndNote desktop version.
How to set up an EndNote online account in the EndNote desktop version
- To create an EndNote online account or to connect your EndNote desktop application to an existing online account, open the EndNote Preferences (Windows: EndNote menu Edit, Macintosh: EndNote menu EndNote) and select "Sync" from the list.
- Click on "Enable Sync"
- In the "EndNote login" window, use the "Sign up" button to create a new EndNote account, following the instructions on the screen. If you already have an account, you can enter the access data (“EndNote Account Credentials”) in the same window below.
How to sync your EndNote Library to your EndNote Online account
You can recognize an EndNote Library that is not synchronized in the online account by the entry Sync Configuration in EndNote on the left in the Groups panel above All References. If you have created an EndNote Online account via EndNote Preferences as described previously and connected your desktop version to it, select the Sync command from the Library menu in EndNote 20 (in EndNote X9 you will find the Sync command under the Tools menu). sync their EndNote Library to the online account. This can take a while, especially when synchronizing for the first time. The Sync Status, which can be called up on the left in the Groups panel above All References for a synchronized EndNote Library, gives you information about the progress or the success of the synchronization. The amounts of data displayed in the local library and the online library should match.
This turns your EndNote Library into a shared library
Once you've checked the sync status and it matches, you can invite other EndNote Desktop users to share the library. To do this, select Share from the File menu in EndNote. In the Sharing window, enter the e-mail addresses of the invitees and click on the Invite button to send your invitation. In the upper part of the window you can see which invitees have not yet accepted the invitation (Pending) and who has already accepted it (Member). Here you can also set write and read access to the data (Read&Write) or only read access (Read Only). Starting with EndNote 20.1, you can invite up to 200 users for library sharing, previously it was up to 100.
How to access a shared library
If your EndNote desktop version is not yet connected to your EndNote Online account or if you do not yet have an EndNote Online account, please first follow the instructions above under “How to set up an EndNote Online account in the EndNote desktop version on” described steps.
You will receive an invitation to library sharing via email. You accept this by clicking on the link in the e-mail and then logging into your EndNote online account once, you have accepted the invitation. To open the shared library now, choose Open Shared Library from the File menu. In the Select a Shared Library window, select the relevant EndNote Library, which will be opened in the EndNote desktop version.
Learn more about library sharing
- Only one library can be synchronized to an EndNote online account. You can also access this library via www.myendnoteweb.com or via the EndNote iPad app. You can be invited to share any number of EndNote libraries yourself, but you can only share one library with others.
- You can share your EndNote Library with anyone who has an EndNote desktop version with an associated online account, regardless of where that version is used. There is no restriction to a common network or a common organization.
- When you share a database, you can access it from your desktop installation, online, or from your iPad. You can only access databases that others share with you via your desktop installation
- You can withdraw access to your EndNote database at any time by selecting "Share" in the EndNote menu File and then clicking on the gear icon "Remove".
- Library sharing works in connection with the EndNote online account as a so-called premium account. The subscription for a premium account is included in the purchase of EndNotes (2-year premium account with EndNote 20 and X9, 3 years with EndNote 21, extension by upgrading to the current EndNote version).
- As of Endnote X9, it is possible to share individual groups, which can then be accessed in Endnote Online (NOT in EndNote Desktop).
- As of EndNote X9, you can give users either write or read-only access to your data.
- An EndNote Library can be shared with up to 400 people since version 20.1 and with up to 1,000 people from version 21.
- For the shared EndNote database there is no size limit in the cloud (2 years online account with unlimited storage for EndNote 20 and X9, 3 years with EndNote 21).