EndNote 20. New license. Windows & Mac
If you are buying EndNote for the first time, this is the choice for you
Upgrade to EndNote 20. Windows & Mac
You´ll need your serial number for EndNote X9 or X8 to install.
EndNote 20 Student. Windows & Mac
The same powerful package at a much lower price for students.
EndNote is the global market leader among reference management programs and is valued equally in science, research, teaching and development.
Focus on what matters most: your research.
Did you know that researchers waste nearly 200,000 hours per year formatting citations? Imagine if you could have that time back to spend on your research. EndNote 20 accelerates your research process so you can focus on what truly matters – conducting and sharing groundbreaking research.
Easily manage the process of getting your manuscript published using tools that match your paper with relevant, reputable journals, and can instantly reformat your paper in over 7,000 bibliographic styles.
What's new in EndNote 20
EndNote 20 is here!
New interface design
Save even more time preparing manuscripts and managing bibliographies with an intuitive user interface.
Cite While you Write
Insert in-text citations while simultaneously creating a bibliography in Microsoft Word. Plugin is also available for Apples Pages.
7000+ Reference Styles
Build your bibliography in any of our included styles, or create your own custom style. Plus, support for new, modern types of references like blogs and online videos is included.
Improved PDF reading & editing
Read and annotate more easily with full-size PDFs, and quickly copy formatted references.
Find what you’re looking for more easily, whether the content is in an online database or already in your library.
Quickly switch between groups and references with content tabs.
Share and Collaborate
Share selected groups of references, manage team access and tack activity and changes.
EndNote Click integration (Kopernio)
Automatically export your references and full-text PDFs into EndNote.
EndNote 20 Updates – New Features
EndNote 20.4 Windows and 20.4.1 Mac
- Dark mode colors updated and improved
- Help menu updated with latest information
- Various stability improvements
Additionally for EndNote Windows:
- Other minor bug fixes, display tweaks and performance enhancements
- Corrected issue with library display when using customized display fields
- Resolved issue that caused a crash on startup under certain conditions
Zusätzlich für EndNote Mac:
- Organize your work by opening groups in tabs
- Find Full Texts enhancements and improvements
- Corrected issue where changes made to the reference types using the reference type editor would not properly reflect in reference records
- Resolved issue where occasionally the incorrect attachment would display in the PDF viewer
- Other minor bug fixes, display tweaks and performance enhancements
EndNote 20.3 Windows and 20.3 Mac
- Retraction Alerts in Cite While You Write (CWYW) schützen Sie davor, versehentlich problematische Quellen in Ihren Manuskripten zu zitieren.
- Find Full Text kann jetzt so konfiguriert werden, dass PDFs vom Link-Resolver von Ex Libris Alma Primo abgerufen werden
- Die Zeilenhöhe der Übersicht wurde angepasst, um mehr Datensätze anzuzeigen und gleichzeitig eine maximale Lesbarkeit zu gewährleisten
- Verbesserte Screenreader-Unterstützung im Groups Panel
- Behebung von Problemen mit Umwandlung von Zitaten in Platzhalter in Dokumenten, die Zitate in Fußnoten enthielten
- Andere kleinere Fehlerbehebungen, Anzeigeoptimierungen und Leistungsverbesserungen
Additionally for EndNote Windows:
- Behobenes Problem, das dazu führte, dass die Ansicht nach bestimmten Aktionen an einem Datensatz auf All References zurückgesetzt wurde
Zusätzlich für EndNote Mac:
- Problem mit Drag & Drop unter bestimmten Bedingungen behoben
- Das Problem beim Einfügen von Terms in die Journal- oder Keywords-Termliste wurde behoben
- Verbessertes Anzeigelayout unter macOS Big Sur
- Probleme mit der Abwärtskompatibilität von EndNote Libraries zwischen EndNote 20 und EndNote X9 behoben
EndNote 20.2.1 Windows und 20.2.1 Mac
- Fehlermeldung „value out of range“ beim Einfügen von Zitaten in Microsoft Word 2010 wurde behoben
- Problem mit PDF-Viewer behoben, das in bestimmten Arbeitsabläufen zum Herunterfahren der Software führte
- Der Sync Status zeigt jetzt die Anzahl für Gruppen korrekt an
- Verbesserte Funktionen zum Suchen von Volltexten für die folgenden Datenanbieter:
- ACS (American Chemical Society), American Phytopathological Society(APS Journals), Canadian Science Publishing, de Gruyter, Emerald, Future Medicine
Hogrefe, Liebert, Microbiology Society, Science, University of Chicago Press, World Journal of Gastroenterology, World Scientific
- Find Full Text Support für folgende Datenanbieter hinzugefügt:
ASM (American Society for Microbiology), Health Affairs, RSNA (Radiological Society of North America)
- Weitere kleinere Fehlerbehebungen und Leistungsverbesserungen
EndNote 20.2 Windows und 20.2 Mac
- Retraction alerts will now notify you of any retracted publications in your library
- Added filtering for groups on the Groups Pane
- Cite While You Write can now insert into content control boxes in Microsoft Word
- Share with up to 400 collaborators with Library Sharing
- Reference record compatibility with the NVDA screen reader
- Corrected keyboard navigation on the Groups Pane
- Minor bug fixes and display tweaks
EndNote 20.1 Windows und 20.1 Mac
- Organize your work by opening groups in Tabs
- Preview PDFs in the reference pane is back!
- Share your library with up to 200 colleagues
- Insert citations into Word directly from the reference list in EndNote
- Full compatibility with Mac OS Big Sur and Apple Silicon Macs (M1)
What else can you do with EndNote?
- Search hundreds of online resources for references and PDFs.
- Access full text research articles with one click.
- Easily read, review, annotate and search PDFs in your library.
- Create rules to automatically organize references as you.
- Keep your data accurate with automatic reference and link updating.
- Quickly deduplicate the content in your library by searching on unique identifiers.
- Ensure your bibliography is accurate with refreshed journal and referencing styles.
- Access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Move seamlessly between online and the desktop and iPad applications.
- Share some or all of your library with collaborators worldwide.
- Provide write or read-only access to your library.
- Use the new Tabs feature for easier multitasking.
- Track your teammates’ changes and view their activity in your shared library.
- Match your paper with relevant, reputable journals using Manuscript Matcher.
- Conduct large-scale literature reviews with ease and speed using the powerful analysis tools.
Each EndNote license includes the Windows and Macintosh versions.
User may install EndNote on three computers for personal use.
EndNote Libraries can be used across platforms (Windows and Macintosh).
Internet connection is required for registration, online research and for the automatic update of data sets as well as for EndNote Online.
System Requirements (Windows)
Windows 10 and Windows 11
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor
600 MB hard disk space available
Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Windows)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for Windows: 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only)
Apache OpenOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 3.x, 4.x
LibreOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 4.x, 5.x, 6.x (32-bit)
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
System Requirements (Mac)
macOS 10.14, 10.15, 11, 12
Intel or M1 Processor
Hard disk with 700 MB available
Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Mac) (Mac)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for macOS: 2016, 2019, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only)
Partner Integration for Cite While You Write: Apple® Pages
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
Format Paper: Textverarbeitungssysteme die Daten als rtf-Datei speichern können:
o Apple iWork Pages Version 1, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x
o TextEdit – für die jeweils unterstützten Mac OS-Versionen
o Apache OpenOffice – Version 1, 2.x, 3.x
o Nissus Writer – für die jeweils unterstützten Mac OS-Versionen
o Mellel – Version 1, 2.x
• Format Paper: Textverarbeitungssysteme die Daten als odt-Datei speichern können:
o Apache OpenOffice Version 1, 2.x, 3.x
Network compatibility and system requirements
Installation and deployment
On Windows networks, EndNote can be deployed with MSI installer technology using scripting or via Group Policy.
EndNote Cross-Platform Compatibility
- Individuals who purchase a single user license can install EndNote on up to three computers for their personal use.
- Sharing a license with other users is not allowed under the individual license agreement.
- Those computers can be any combination of Mac and Windows machines.
- By creating or logging into a Endnote online account (under preferences > Sync), that individual can sync their library across all three computers, as well as access it through EndNote online and the iPad app.
NOTE: Your EndNote product key is required for activation. Your key is the 25-character code located either in your email confirmation (if you purchased the download) or in the inside-left panel of the CD case (if you had the product shipped).
Version look back
Review of EndNote versions X2 to X9
New features in EndNote X9
- Group sharing
Group sharing now gives you the ability to share your groups with colleagues right from your EndNote desktop with both read-only or read-and-write access. Let your colleagues get right to what they need; they don’t need to sift through your entire library to find what is pertinent to them.
- Sharing Permissions
Now you got the ability to choose whether you share a library with full Read-write permissions or the new Read-only mode. You can select the access rights at the time of sharing, or adjust it later, and different access rights can be assigned to different users. Get the peace of mind about sharing your library and don’t have to worry about colleagues making changes to your library.
- Updated styles
If your bibliography isn’t formatted correctly, you risk your paper getting rejected, even before it is peer-reviewed. With EndNote X9 you get updates to key styles such as Chicago, AMA, MLA and APA. Now you can select from over 7000 styles to format your bibliography and citations.
- New reference types
When adding a new reference, you can now select from new references types from the list of reference options. These new reference types include discussion forum, TV episode, social media, and multimedia applications. No more guessing or making up your own reference types. Cite new types of media with confidence.
- Citation Reports
Citation reports from Web of Science help you identify what impact your research is having on your area of study. As a researcher, you want to know if the references you are citing are impactful and relevant. To do this with X8 you needed to leave EndNote and go into Web of Science separately, which is time-consuming and breaks your workflow. With EndNote X9 you can generate a Web of Science citation report by selecting a group from your desktop. Leverage core Web of Science metrics by accessing Citation reports directly from the EndNote X9.
- Manuscript Matcher
As a researcher, you need to know what journals are the best fit for your manuscripts, so that you have the best chance of acceptance. Many fields have hundreds of journal options, and it is hard to determine where to submit your paper. With EndNote X9 you can now create a list of journal suggestions for the paper you are writing. Take the guesswork out of journal submission and find the best-fit journals for your paper.
New features in EndNote X8
- Shared write access to an EndNote Library
Share your library with up to 100 other EndNote desktop users on X7.2 or later; providing teams with immediate real time access to the same set of references, attachments, notes and annotations
- Unlimited literature management
Save any number of data records and documents in your EndNote Library - an important prerequisite for successful teamwork.
- Current information about changes
With the new activity log (log of changes made), you have an overview of what your colleagues are adding and changing in the shared library.
- Easily find and attach full texts
Use EndNote to search for full texts in PDF format that are accessible to you as an employee of your institution or are simply freely available. Found full texts are automatically appended to the EndNote data record.
- Years of data accessible in seconds
Search metadata, full text, file attachments and your personal notes in EndNote and find the data you need in seconds.
- Correct citation
Insert references from your EndNote Library into your manuscript in Word. EndNote automatically creates the citation in the text or in the footnote and the entry in the bibliography in the correct format. More than 6,000 bibliographic templates are available for this purpose.
- When submitting articles on the right page
EndNote Online helps you find the right journal for your publication right away, based on an analysis of more than 10 million linked citations in Web of Science™.
New in EndNote X7
- Automatic renaming of PDF files on import
- PDF auto import folder
- PDF import with adoption of the folder structure
- Links within PDF files now also work in EndNote
- Bibliography divided by category
- Improved synchronization with EndNote Online
- EndNote now offers the ability to insert references directly into PowerPoint slides
- In the quick search, search terms are now automatically linked with the search operator "AND". In addition to the contents of the database, you can search in PDF full texts and your own comments
- Easily customize column layout
- New setting options for read/unread and rating
- Adoption of the record number
- Automatic updates
- New Reference Types: Interview, Podcast, and Press Release
- ONE EndNote product key for the Windows and Macintosh versions
- Conversion of Reference Manager databases
- Library Sharing – shared access to an EndNote database
work with up to 14 people at the same time on a common EndNote database
- Share a complete EndNote database including references, full texts and annotations
- Unlimited and free storage space in the cloud for the shared database
- Online Search, Find Full Text and Find Reference Update with PubMed over Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Cite While You Write Add-in supports 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Word 2016
- Full compatibility with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for MS Word 2016 users when Word is updated to v15.24
- Compatibility with OS X El Capitan
- Improved synchronization, especially for large file attachments
- Revised direct export functionality for OS X Snow Leopard
- Improved display on high-resolution screens
New in EndNote X6
- Data synchronization
- Mark records as read or unread
- Rate references
- Send records via email
- Records from the EndNote Library can be emailed with or without a file attachment.
- New layout options
- Extended and updated term list with over 13,000 medical journals.
- When copying or moving field contents in the EndNote database, the original formatting is retained.
- Upper and lower case of field contents can now be easily changed in the database window.
- In the Change/Move/Copy Fields window, you can use the Change Case option to change the case of all records displayed in the overview at the same time.
New in EndNote X5
- Display of PDF files directly in the EndNote database window (PDF viewer)
- Updating Records
- Transfer of file attachments to EndNote Web
- New format for in-text citations: Author (Year)
- Definition of rules in the output style for empty fields
- Easy duplicate checking
- Link to the original file is retained when importing PDF files
- Music and dataset are added as new reference types.
- There are two new fields for the Reference Type Journal Article: NIHMSID and Article Number.
- In a standard installation, the most important output styles, import filters and connection files are installed, others can be installed later.
- Over 5,000 output styles, 600 import filters and 4,300 connection files
- Improved search for phrases in PDF files and records
- References can now be removed from a group with the right mouse button
- PDF files can be attached to data sets with the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT+A
- The upgrade can now be installed either by specifying the product key or the serial number of the previous version
New in EndNote X4
- Import of PDF files/ Search in PDF files
With EndNote X4, the possibilities for managing PDFs have been expanded even further. Individual PDF files or entire folders with PDF files can be imported and indexed in EndNote. EndNote automatically takes over the bibliographic information of the imported full texts based on the DOI and saves the reference together with the full text in EndNote. The full text of the PDF files can then be searched. An EndNote database can be searched with the following options: “Any Field”, “Any Field + PDF” and “PDF”.
- The perfect collaboration solution for workgroups: Better collaboration between EndNote and EndNote Web
- New Cite-While-You-Write functions - Automatic linking of quotations in the text to the bibliography as a hyperlink - Full support of APA 6th requirements - Enhanced footnote formatting through customizable short forms - EndNote X4 creates an automatic group with all cited references of a Word document - Enhanced feature Edit & Manage Citations dialog box - Changes in the "Author", "Year" and "Record Number" fields are automatically updated in the Word document.
New in EndNote X3
- Multiple bibliographies within a Word document
In a Word document with section breaks, create a separate bibliography for each section. In addition, a complete directory can be created at the end of the Word document.
- Cite-While-You-Write now also for Apple Pages '09 and OpenOffice.org Writer 3
- Advanced grouping features
Now arrange your references in the Custom Groups and Smart Groups hierarchically (supergroups/subgroups).
- Composite references for chemical citation guidelines
Several literature references can now be combined under one reference - in the text and in the bibliography.
- More choices in Compressed Libraries feature
In EndNote X3, you can create a "compressed library" from the entire database or from a selection. The "Compressed Library" can be created with or without "File Attachment".
- Improved duplicate check
- Free EndNote web account
- Full-text research with OpenURL link resolvers
New in EndNote X2
- Automatic download of full texts
- New group features
In the EndNote X2 version there are now groups that are automatically created and custom groups that you can manually create yourself to better structure your database.
- Automatic date stamp
You keep a better overview of your references. You now know when a reference was newly entered and when a reference was last edited.
- Newly integrated search window
The search mask is now integrated in the preview window. You can now carry out local and online research directly from the EndNote database window.
- Statistical information on the database and reference data sets
- With EndNote X2 you can now query interesting statistical information about your database or individual references.
- Duplicate control
With the direct online search from EndNote, you can choose in advance whether duplicate references should be removed before importing them into a database or not.
For any questions please contact us at email@example.com or by phone at
EndNote Library Sharing
Regardless of whether you want to share an existing EndNote database with others or build a new database as a team, both are easy with Library Sharing.
This is how library sharing works
All participants need an EndNote desktop version and an associated EndNote online account. The person who wants to share their EndNote Library with the others syncs their EndNote Library to their EndNote Online account and then invites the other contributors to share the library via EndNote Desktop. They will receive an email with a link they can use to log into their respective EndNote online account. The invitation is accepted and the shared library can be opened on the computers of the invitees in the EndNote desktop version.
How to set up an EndNote online account in the EndNote desktop version
- To create an EndNote online account or to connect your EndNote desktop application to an existing online account, open the EndNote Preferences (Windows: EndNote menu Edit, Macintosh: EndNote menu EndNote) and select "Sync" from the list.
- Click on "Enable Sync"
- In the "EndNote login" window, use the "Sign up" button to create a new EndNote account, following the instructions on the screen. If you already have an account, you can enter the access data (“EndNote Account Credentials”) in the same window below.
How to sync your EndNote Library to your EndNote Online account
You can recognize an EndNote Library that is not synchronized in the online account by the entry Sync Configuration in EndNote on the left in the Groups panel above All References. If you have created an EndNote Online account via EndNote Preferences as described previously and connected your desktop version to it, select the Sync command from the Library menu in EndNote 20 (in EndNote X9 you will find the Sync command under the Tools menu). sync their EndNote Library to the online account. This can take a while, especially when synchronizing for the first time. The Sync Status, which can be called up on the left in the Groups panel above All References for a synchronized EndNote Library, gives you information about the progress or the success of the synchronization. The amounts of data displayed in the local library and the online library should match.
This turns your EndNote Library into a shared library
Once you've checked the sync status and it matches, you can invite other EndNote Desktop users to share the library. To do this, select Share from the File menu in EndNote. In the Sharing window, enter the e-mail addresses of the invitees and click on the Invite button to send your invitation. In the upper part of the window you can see which invitees have not yet accepted the invitation (Pending) and who has already accepted it (Member). Here you can also set write and read access to the data (Read&Write) or only read access (Read Only). Starting with EndNote 20.1, you can invite up to 200 users for library sharing, previously it was up to 100.
How to access a shared library
If your EndNote desktop version is not yet connected to your EndNote Online account or if you do not yet have an EndNote Online account, please first follow the instructions above under “How to set up an EndNote Online account in the EndNote desktop version on” described steps.
You will receive an invitation to library sharing via email. You accept this by clicking on the link in the e-mail and then logging into your EndNote online account once, you have accepted the invitation. To open the shared library now, choose Open Shared Library from the File menu. In the Select a Shared Library window, select the relevant EndNote Library, which will be opened in the EndNote desktop version.
Learn more about library sharing
- You can share your EndNote Library with anyone who has an EndNote desktop version with an associated online account, regardless of where that version is used. There is no restriction to a common network or a common organization.
- Only one library can be synchronized to an EndNote online account. You can also access this library via www.myendnoteweb.com or via the EndNote iPad app. You can be invited to share any number of EndNote libraries yourself, but you can only share one library with others.
- When you share a database, you can access it from your desktop installation, online, or from your iPad. You can only access databases that others share with you via your desktop installation
- You can withdraw access to your EndNote database at any time by selecting "Share" in the EndNote menu File and then clicking on the gear icon "Remove".
- Library sharing works in connection with the EndNote online account as a so-called premium account. The two-year subscription for this premium account is included with the purchase of EndNotes (extension by upgrading to the current EndNote version).
- As of Endnote X9, it is possible to share individual groups, which can then be accessed in Endnote Online (NOT in EndNote Desktop).
- As of EndNote X9, you can give users either write or read-only access to your data.
- An EndNote Library can be shared with up to 200 people since version 20.1 (previously it was up to 100 people).
- For the shared EndNote database there is no size limit in the cloud..